Pages

Snippet Sunday - FRESH BEGINNINGS 16/08/2015 #romance #amreading #Route66



~~~
FRESH BEGINNINGS
We continue with Fresh Beginnings, Jared's story as he travels through five states
 in the US in a Motorhome. I used our itinerary from our US travels two years ago
 and wrote a romance story around in.
Jared has just arrived in the US.
Enjoy!

~~~




"So, what brings ya out into the middle of the sticks?"

When there was no reply, he turned and looked at her. There was a big frown on her face, and he sighed.

"I thought you all speak English as well?"

"We do," she said with a slight giggle. "But I'm not so sure about you Australians."

With a grin he replied, "Now, don't be cheeky, Ivy."

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you, my mom always said." She laughed. "No way would I make fun of you."

"So, you're expectin' a meal as well?"

There was a moment of silence again, and he glanced over. The smile was gone and panic was written all over her face.

"I… I didn't—"

Quickly he reached out for her hand. "I'm pulling your leg." And when she didn't reply again, he muttered, "This thing with you Americans not understanding English is turning into a problem. I was kiddin'."

"Pulling your leg?" She shook her head. "Never heard of it."

A bark of laughter filled the small space. "Anyway. Talkin' about food. There's a small place ahead. Want some lunch?"

 

 

Buy Links:
Amazon Australia: http://bit.ly/1y0N4bo
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1s7xTiq
Smashwords: http://bit.ly/1pBrpEY
Barnes & Noble:  http://bit.ly/1nqaT6t





Thanks for all your comments,
I do appreciate each single one of them!
And check out Snippet Sunday  Facebook site for other writers.

 



33 comments:

  1. Too cute. I like her panic there for second about the meal. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the double entendres... and I'm sure he means them just like that so he can get a rise out of her

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved her fear about the meal.

    By the way, I was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania, and I know the expression "pulling your leg" -- I didn't know it was an Australian term?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PT. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's an Australian term, it's from what I gathered while we were in the US.

      Delete
  4. That's very funny. I wonder if they will ever understand each other lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... I think they will :-) Thanks Linda.

      Delete
  5. Traveling and meeting different folks is a magic cauldron for misunderstandings, and connecting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula ... yes it is, as a German who learnt English English living in Australia I had quite a few misunderstandings the first couple of years when I moved here ;-)

      Delete
  6. America is full of regionalisms, isn't it? I remember the first time I asked someone to wait until I got my ducks in a row . . . :D

    And of course she's extra sensitive right now, poor woman...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the different idioms of the different English speaking countries - it makes a conversation interesting.

      Delete
  7. Loved the scene with the teasing. Just to let you know, I'm from Southern Ca and I know the term 'pulling your leg.' I'm thinking most Americans will. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that most of the readers do, yet not the ones we met in the US a few years back. funny that .... thanks Karen.

      Delete
  8. I've heard the term pulling your leg many times. I didn't know it was Australian. I'm getting really curious about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not Australian, I just thought it was something more local because no one seemed to know when we were over there ..... Thanks Elaine.

      Delete
  9. I've heard "pulling your leg" up here in the "sticks" of the U.S., too. I don't think that's unique to the Aussies. But "cheeky" might give a few American's pause. :) Great snippet, Iris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See "living in the sticks" was a new phrase for me as well :-) Tell me about cheeky !
      Thanks Siobhan.

      Delete
  10. Fun--road trips in the US are a blast. I'll just second what other people said about 'pulling your leg', and I swear we're not joshin'! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha .... love it ... another new one for me .... Thanks Karysa.

      Delete
  11. Oops, it published before I'd added...BUT, young people in the US might not know all of these old-folk phrases. I teach high school and my students frequently look at me funny when I use an old expression.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that "pulling your leg" is pretty common where I come from in the USA, but Karysa's probably right that younger readers might not know it. So frankly, I think Jared is kinda annoying at this point BUT I say that as praise of your craft because he's definitely coming across as a real person! Well done. Excellent choice for a snippet to share, got a good discussion going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww ... thanks Veronica. I'd better show another one or two snippets for you to like Jared again, cos he's a really loveable guy! honestly!

      Delete
  13. Jared almost teased his way to a solo lunch! I wonder if they'll get on the same page during the meal...

    I'm another from the US west coast who's heard "pulling your leg" but i agree that younger readers might not have. I don't think i've ever heard anyone younger than me say it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, she's so scared over all this. Can't say I blame her after the last person to give her a lift. But it's also really cute and he's such an easygoing, joking guy that it just makes me smile. Love the snippet.

    I've gotta agree with the others, too. I've heard the expression "pulling your leg" a LOT where I live in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it must've been the few we met in the US who didn't know about the expression :-) And glad you liked it.

      Delete
  15. Nice! Fun bit of banter between them.

    ReplyDelete